Sunday, October 24, 2010

PC 1

After my bridge building success I decided to have a shot at building a PC1. Again I choose to use styrene as it is readily available and easy to use. I went with the 15 inch precast slabs for my first attempt. I want to put a little end to end layout in my shed one day and loosely base it on the Rand line where all stations are of the PC 1 construction. Most of them had no awnings, but as I said, loosely.

The finished product. The colour scheme and weathering were mimicked from a photo of the Milguy PC1 on the Boggabilla line. The grey is where the blue paint has chipped off exposing the cement panels.

The rear of the building. I am modelling them as abandoned/derelict. Hence no doors and windows.

The rain water tank side of the station. Once the platform is made I will do the Legs.
Not perhaps the same standard as Casula's but I am happy with the outcome.

A shot of the building after paint and prior to roofing. The shade of blue is a little darker than I had hoped but weathering will knock it back.

One of the failed attempts to chamfer the wall panels. I glued them in first and waited for them to dry, then filed the chamfer. Too slow and fiddly.
Another failed attempt. I glued the panels in the building then add the chamfer. Another slow process. The fastest way I finally worked out was to chamfer the entire length prior to cutting the individual panels.
All the wall panels are finally completed.
Front awning has been put on.

Completed unit ready for paint.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Styrene Railway overpass.

I've decided to put the trains on the back burner for a while and have a shot at some scratch building. Now that I have put travel with work on hold till next year, it has given me more time to do some modelling. So here here is my first attempt, a timber railway overpass. There were two options for materials to use for this build, styrene and scale timber. I know a timber one would look realistic, but I felt styrene would be more durable and easier to work with. Hopefully paint will create the timber effect?

The outsides of the bridge were assembled first.

The outsides and piers assembled.

The main structure assembled.

Handrails now attached.

The completed model with decking and side rails now attached.
I decided to go with Balsa which I scribed for the timber decking. I didn't really feel like cutting a hundred or so planks which would use up about 3 or 4 packs of styrene, plus it looks better.
Look hard enough or click on the photo and you will see the wire strung through the handrails.

A coat of brown paint to begin with.

Next I added some grimey black and rust in a few different areas with a dry brush to give the styrene a weathered timber and rusty look. I also streaked the timber posts to give the look of having a grain.

Next some grey and weathered black added from the airbrush. This is to dull down the brown of the timber. Also a streak of black in the centre for the smoke/diesel fumes from the locos. After that another pass with a dry brush in a few areas to show up some fresh timber weathering. I think it looks the part.