Thursday, January 7, 2010

The factory line.

Here is a few shots of my production line. I like to try and build wagons in batches of five or more, it makes it a bit quicker build for me and easier to paint ten or more wagon at a time, less paint loss and airbrush cleaning.


After construction weight is added and held in with wood glue. I use this as it is cheap, it dosn't distort the models like some cheap superglues can and if you make a mistake or dribble it, it is easily removed when dry.
I don't really follow the NMRA standards with the weight, I just use what I consider to be a good weight.


After the glue dries the lids go on.

An overall view of the wagons under construction.
The wagons on the bottom right will get a styrene sheet glued close to the top and then have a ballast load put over the top. I don't like to fill the entire wagon with ballast due to extra weight and the amount of ballast required. This will be done after painting.
The wagons on the top right will be unloaded versions.




The completed ballast load viewed from the top.
I like to use a diluted mixture of wood glue and water with a dash of washing up liquid to help the mixture blend in.


Another view from the side.

A completed Sand wagon, after spraying with the airbrush the decals are applied ready to test run or weather, depending on the age of wagon you are modelling.

A weathered phosphate wagon. This was achieved with an airbrush.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the v/line hoppers. what kit did you use for these?

    ReplyDelete